Northeast Tourism – An Ultimate Travel Guide, 2023
It is so well said that nature can look beautiful even with bent and empty trees. The best example for this saying can be experienced by witnessing the overflowing beauty of the states of northeast which are compiled together and popularly known as the ‘Seven Sisters’. The glorious states of Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh are included in this cluster. The magical natural phenomenon that one can witness here in this area is so satisfying and relaxing that anyone who wants to explore the pristine nature away from the busy schedule will definitely love it. Satisfy your taste buds with the delicious cuisines of the different states of north east India. Explore the wonderful unique sites in the area of northeast. This region is splendidly boosted with cultural as well as natural amazements. The Buddhist monasteries and the mesmerising natural phenomena like the huge waterfalls, vast lush green plains and amazing hills and snow covered mountains add more to the prevailing beauty. Though the seven states of the northeast are counted in one region, the cultural, traditional and cuisines difference amongst them amazes every soul. There is so much to visit and explore in each state that days and weeks will pass without us being tired at all. Thus visiting the north east region of India will be the best decision you could make.
Best Selling Northeast Tourism Packages
- Arunachal Pradesh:Want to explore the snow covered places in India? Arunachal Pradesh which falls in the foothills of the Himalayas is the best touring place. This is one of the best secrets that our country India has kept. Experiencing and touring this place is amazing. Explore the cultural heritage, food culture, traditional activities, natural richness and the handloom culture of Arunachal Pradesh. The amazing animal richness like the Red Panda, Flying Squirrel and lots more. Let the cool and soothing breeze flow to you from the Sela Pass and most importantly visit the biggest monastery named Tawang monastery. Site the mesmerising Kameng River and river raft in this place. To conclude this place is an ultimate bliss to all.
- Assam:This place located in the north east of India is the state of Assam. This state is gorgeous in all aspects. If looking for a collection of insane wildlife species then again definitely this place will be worth visiting. In fact the state of Assam in itself has 18 wildlife sanctuaries to visit and in it the rarest of all species being the one- horned rhinoceros. This piece of land is not only boosted by the wildlife amazements. Also if you want to breathe in the fresh aroma of the tea gardens, there are acres and acres of land spread all over for this purpose. The cultural folk dance of this state being Bihu will keep you enlightened throughout. The games played here and the traditional food that are available are spellbinding. The most mesmerising attraction of this place is the gorgeous Brahmaputra River from where you can witness the amazing sunset which is a treat to the eye.
- Manipur:If you dream of a magical destination for your holiday then the place is supposedly Manipur, one of the states from the Seven Sisters. This place has always been known for its natural bliss with which it is bountiful. You can spend one full day visiting the lush woodlands or forests of Senapati. Explore the art rich villages of Manipur where people feed their stomach by pottery and handicrafts. The beautiful Palace of Kangle, the Manipur State Museum and the Polo Ground are some places which are must to be visited if we travel to Manipur. The delicious tea of Ukhrul is something that will make your taste buds alive again. The bird viewing spot, Tamenglong is a must visit spot in this state with symphony of waterfalls, streaming rivers and fluttering forests add more zest. Thus, to conclude the state of Manipur is something our souls always long for.
- Meghalaya:This paradise on Earth-like place located in the north eastern part is the one that bears its name and its bounty. This pristine place is home to various unique phenomena like the limestone caves in the various districts of Meghalaya which are actually counted among the deepest caves in India. This place is well known for not only its natural phenomena but also adventuring games like trekking, camping, mountain climbing, skiing, kayaking and sailing as well. The admiring beauty of the uniquely found living root bridges are the impeccable art in human history. Visit the Siju Bird Sanctuary, Nokrek National Park, Balpakram National Park and discover the amazing seashell fossils here in the state of Meghalaya. The main attraction of the state of Meghalaya is its capital, Shillong which is also referred to as the Scotland of East. This place is a wonderful mixture of cultural heritage and modernity along with the stunned natural beauty.
- Mizoram:The state which is rich in bamboo groves, lush forests, wondrous waterfalls, deep dark caves, glass-like glittering lakes and obviously the enchanting vineyards is none other than Mizoram. This land is so soothing to visit that if you long to have a fresh breath in the air around than a place like Mizoram filled with cleanliness and greenery is a must to visit. Explore the hills here named as the Phawngpui Hills also called as the abode of gods overwhelmed by the outstanding orchids, mind boggling views. Also explore the entire state and get a glimpse of mesmerising creations both by nature and humans as well like the Phulpui Grave, Vantawang Falls, Palak Lake, Hmuifang Hill and many more.
- Nagaland:This serene beauty in the north eastern part of India is often referred to as the Switzerland of the East because of its overwhelming beauty. This state is rich in all aspects, the cultural heritage is so fantastically carried out by the tribals out there is so wonderful and satisfying to watch. In fact this place has a large grip on pristine natural phenomenons like the Japfu Peak and a numerous count of various animals, for example; Tigers, Langurs, Pythons, Hornbills, Lizards and many more.
- Sikkim:One of the snow covered states in India, Sikkim is the heavenly one. The mountains here are so high that it touches the mighty sky in such a graceful manner. In fact the third highest snow covered mountain Kanchenjunga lies here in Sikkim, India. Worship in the soulful monasteries like the Rumtek Monastery. The traditional dishes of Sikkim here like the momos and thukpa are so much loved all around the world.
What Makes Northeast So Famous?
- The cleanest villahe in Asia is located in the north east of India, Meghalaya- Mawlynnong Village.
- The first India’s cashless village is also situated here in north east India- Karang Village.
- There is a beautiful difference between the north east states and other Indian states is that the north east states are completely dowry free.
- Also the only floating National Park, Keibul Lamjao National Park is located in north east India.
- In fact the first organic state in the world is located here.
- The amazing sport Polo originated from north east Inida.
Honeymoon Packages for Northeast
Best time to Visit Northeast for Tourism
If you are looking for the best time in the year when you can visit and explore the amazing natural beauty of the north east region in India, then the perfect time to visit it would definitly be during the months from March to June. The mentioned months here are very calming and neither very cold nor very hot. The inspiring and mesmerising north east India is often referred to as the Kingdom in its own right. The outstanding landscapes stand forth in front of all other landscapes. We are thus so proud to call the north east regions as a part of the Indian Subcontinent. The cultures and traditions here are so distinct from the rest of the states but still holds the uniqueness and boldness to drag all the attention towards its bounty. Also, it is good to note that if you are a winter lover and love to explore the world especially the cool places then travelling to the north east region during the month of october- march would be the best.
Northeast Tourism One Day Tour
Things to do in Northeast
- Visit the Kaziranga National Park:an exploration of the wondrous Kaziranga National Park in the state of Assam will be a life living experience. Explore the mighty endangered animals and the serene and untouched piece of nature.
- River Rafting:because of this region having enticing rivers, water games is thus another exciting attraction here. People can get their kick by rafting in the cool and chilling waters on their own.
- Biking Expedition:the north east region is a complete package of all your interesting activities that you want to do, one of them being biking in this dramatic mountainous region.
- Trekking:trek to the big mountains located in the different states of the north east and explore the wonderful precious nature. This region is also rich in mountainous elevations thus giving a wonderful opportunity for trekking.
- Waterfall visits:the state of Meghalaya is home to several sky kissing mountains and from them dropping serene and pristine waterfalls that blow the heart off all the visitors.
- Visit the largest river island in the world:Majuli River Island located in the state of Assam is world famous for being the largest known river island in the entire world.
- Walk over the living root bridges:explore the untouched prestigious glory of the state of Meghalaya. These living root bridges are a unique phenomena created by the collaboration of nature and the khasi tribes of the state.
Northeast Tourism Adventure Activities
How do we reach NortheastYou can reach Northeast by road, railway, or flight.
The northeast states including Assam, Meghalaya, Imphal, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Mizoram, Manipur and Nagaland are very properly connected to the other states of India. There are several highways that interconnect each other as well as with other states. You can find many buses running from West Bengal to the various states of north east via Assam.
The states are still not connected by means of railway as well because of the difficult land or mountainous region which is not entirely plain here and thus making the land unsuitable for laying railway tracks in the region. Therefore the state of Assam is still very well connected to the other states of India by train and hence acts as the gateway to the other northeast states.
Though the states of northeast are not much genuinely connected to the other paces of India because of its high mountainous regions that does not allow the making of the platforms for these. Still there are countable airports in the northeast region of India. Main airports are in Guwahati, Imphal, Silchar, Dibrugarh and Bagdogra.
North East region commonly referred to as the seven sister land which mysterically include Assam, Manipur, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Tripura, Mizoram and Meghalaya. As the normal sisters they do not have the same mother tongue but are diverse in their own means. The languages basically or in a majority that is spoken in these states include Assamese, Bengali and Boro in Assam; Meitei or Manipuri in Manipur; in Tripura the languages counted are bengali and Kokborok; Mizo and English in Mizoram and finally English in Meghalaya, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh. This diverse nature of the people speaking various languages have been the reason of the various invasions in this particular region and thus come from basic five language families namely Indo- Aryan, Tibeto- Burman, Dravidian, Austro- Asiatic and Tai- Kadai.
The beautiful North East India has since decades seen several changes in itself be it in terms of ecocomy or society. Though the documented proof of the history of this region is very difficult to find even in this date, it can be commented that the northeast that we see now compared to the north east region back then has a completely different picture in mind. The documents that we have of this region are basically from the British era and still we can find only some of the written proofs in terms of monographs and census data. Therefore the reconstruction of data that was made on our north east is majorly based on today’s culture and folk tales of the tribals living here. Though humans do not have the mark of its existence, the mythology books of the Hindus like the Ramayana, the Mahabharata and the Puranas have the mention of the north east. The people of north east India are very specific and particular about their culture and is therefore the only reason that it is so beautifully enlightened and kept till date. For example the tribe of Arunachal Pradesh that is Idu Mishmi have its traces in being Lord Krishna’s wilfe, Rukmini’s tribe. Similarly, we have the Bodo tribe which is believed to be the descendents of Hidimba, the wife of Bhima.
The people of the northeast are a group of people coming from different racial stocks, the mongoloids, the Indo- Aryans, the Dravidians and the Australoids. But the most dominant group of all that can be seen in today’s date have been the Mongoloids. To protect the tribals of the north east region the Constitution of India back then during Independence have reserved some special quotas in each and every field because of the discrimination that they faced though now e the people of India can proudly say that there is no such tribal and non- tribal issues that they have to face and are therefore treated equality as a proud citizen of India altogether. Still the constitution holds the same reservations for them till date.
In this palace you will get to see a very high western culture among the tribal communities of north east. Hence the people here have embraced the Christianity culture transforming the tribal people like the Mizos, Khasis, Nagas etc follow it.
Top Tourist Attractions in Northeast
Our North East is enlightened and over flowing with the beautiful nature and man made gorgeous architecture and sculptures that blow the mind of the people who come to visit this place. There are such uncountable marvels that if you tour it for the entire year there will still be left of exploring these places. Thus some of the famous and most visited places have been penned down for having a quick glance of the mistful places.
Kaziranga National Park, Assam
Other animals like elephants, leopards, tigers and the amazing migratory birds also boost up the surrounding of the place.
Tawang Monastery, Arunachal Pradesh
Tsomgo Lake, Sikkim
Nohkalikai Falls, Meghalaya
Loktak Lake, Manipur
Tripura Sundari Temple, Tripura
Durtlang Hills, Mizoram
Kangla Fort, Nagaland
More Places in Northeast
Weather in Northeast
Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, and Tripura comprise North East India. These incredible states include beautiful panoramas, crystal clear blue waters, lush greenery, and uncharted hills. It has drawn a large number of tourists from all over the world throughout the years, but each site has an ideal time to visit, and each season has something to offer to different sorts of people. The best time to visit North East India is between October and mid-May. We’ve discussed the best time to visit the North East, as well as the different seasons and what they have to offer travellers.
Travel Advice on Northeast Tourism
There is no doubt that the north east India is still a difficult terrain for the travellers to visit. There are a lot of areas and fields in which this area’s infrastructure needs to be worked upon. But whatever this region lacks i.e especially luxurious life and comfort is nonetheless fulfilled and beautifully covered by the amazing mesmerising landscape, lovely tribals and pristine water bodies. Though the states are counted and grouped under one particular north eastern region still you will find no one state having anything in common. You will love to visit this entire region and get the vibe of visiting different regions altogether. However , if you are planning to visit this untouched paradise on Earth then the most important task is to first read on the tips for travelling to North East India.
Tips for Visiting North East
- Research:A lot of research is required if you are planning to visit the north east region, so that while travelling to the places there is no problem faced. If good research is done then a traveller can directly travel one place after the other without facing difficulty in choosing the destination.
- Manage Time to Explore all:8 states and numerous districts, thus a lot to explore in this blissful region. Therefore, proper time management is very essential so as to get the opportunity to travel to all the tourist destinations you wish for.
- Get knowledge of the weather conditions in the regions to visit:Since the north east region is known all over for its chilling and calm weather therefore people coming to visit the area from the different warmer areas will feel a bit cold. Therefore before planning a trip here one must examine the weather conditions and pack the clothes according to it.
- Travel Guide to the Rescue:A very important aspect that needs to be kept in mind while travelling to any part of the world is hiring a local travel guide. Travel guides make the difficult task much easier by guiding us along the path of our tour. In fact the key gold in them is their experience which makes the journey not so monotonous.
- A little adjustment to be made for the internet:Because of the region being less connected with the other states of India therefore you may find certain issues with the daily needs and one of the most important for today’s generation is the weak internet connection. Though there are still some places where the internet connectivity is fast you may still require to adjust a little in this aspect while visiting this region. In fact a little compromise in this matter to witness the gorgeous pristine phenomenons is accepted.
Northeast Tourism Travel Guides
Best Places to stay in Meghalaya
|Siiro Resort||Siiro Village, Hapoli District Lower Subansiri, Arunachal Pradesh, Ziro, Arunachal Pradesh|
|Kunden Village Resort||Tathangchen Area Rd, Tathangchen Area, Gangtok, Sikkim 737103|
|Polo Orchid Resort||Mawsmai-Nongthymmai Sohra, Cherrapunji, Meghalaya 793108|
|The Rope Resort||Senchal Road Opposite Ghoom-Degree College, Darjeeling, West Bengal 734102|
|The Royal Plaza||Upper Syari, Deorali, Upper Syari, Gangtok, Sikkim 737102|
|Radisson Blu Hotel||Radisson Blu Hotel Guwahati, National Highway 37, Guwahati, Assam 781033|
|The Green Wood Resort||GS Rd, Madhab Nagar, Khanapara, Guwahati, Assam 781022|
|Tripura Castle||Cleve Colony, Tripura Castle Road, Shillong, Meghalaya 793003|
|The Golden Retreat||City Centre, Debhog, Kshudiram Nagar, Haldia, West Bengal 721657|
|Chet Residency||NH -15, 2nd Mile, Namsai, Arunachal Pradesh 792103|
|Niathu Resort||Chumukedima, 7th Mile, Dimapur, Nagaland 797103|
|De Oriental Grand||Themezee, High School Road, National Highway 61, Upper Bayavü Hill, Kohima, Nagaland 797001|
|Aizawl Guest House||PHE Bill Pekna Bul, Vanhmingi, Laipuitlang Rd, Laipuitlang, Aizawl, Mizoram 796012|
|The Camellia||A-1 B/5, Chaltlang, Aizawl, Mizoram 796012|
|Manipur House||Tera Bazaar-Naoremthong Road, Tera Loukrakpam Leikai, Sagolband, Imphal, Manipur 795001|
|The Classic Hotel||North AOC, Kabo Leika, Imphal, Manipur 795001|
|Polo Lake Resort||Neermahal, Polo Lake Resort, Unnamed Road, Rudijala, Tripura 799115|
|Hotel Airdrop||Airport Road, Usha Bazar, Agartala, Tripura 799009|
Northeast Tourism Reviews
Professional service since the beginning. Right from building the itinerary to executing the same, along with altering as per the situation to make the trip better and more memorable. Our driver Sandeep was ever smiling andView Review
I traveled two days with Irshad from Travenjo Tours. They are professional, trustworthy, and friendly people. I just booked on phone, and Irshad was standing right on time outside my hotel. The travel was very smooth,View Review
Extremely easy to pre-book online. Very low advance booking amount. Superb connectivity thorugh whatsapp and e-mail in case of any issues. We made a great friend in Raj bhai our driver for the trip. He was our driverView Review
Iam very happy with the overall experience with Travenjo Tours! Mr. Tarique Anwar, owner of Travenjo was very helpful in suggesting best itinerary for our Meghalaya trip for 8 days, he made sure we were comfortableView Review
We had a good and smooth experience with Travenjo. Our Driver Rahul was polite and made every possible effort to make us view/explore sites in Shillong. I highly recommend both Travenjo and the driver.View Review
It’s was awesome experience… I booked cab from 1st December to 6th December 2019…Without any hassle my trip went smooth, Pick up from Guwahati Airport to Meghalaya and back to Airport… There was no hassle, Our DriverView Review
Frequently Asked Questions about Northeast Tourism
There is a pass that citizens of other states of India need while travelling to the north east region i.e, Inner Line Permit(ILP). Though this is not required for all the states but only for Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram.
While foreigners need Protected Area Permit(PAP) in these states.
The weather varies from region to region in the north east. The states of Assam and Tripura are plains and are warmer as compared to the other states like Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh etc.
The north eastern cuisine holds its grip from the non- vegetarian to the vegetarian foods. So if you are a vegetarian there will be no problem for you in fooding.
The best time to visit north east India varies from place to place like you can visit Kaziranga in the winter time and the state of Meghalaya during the summer time. Still a common approach for visiting the entire northeast would be during the spring season.
Yes the tour drive will completely be private and you can ask for stoppages for photos, foods, freshening up etc.
Mobile Network service Providers like airtel, vodafone work well in all the states of the northeast. Jio catches the network in all the states except in Arunachal Pradesh.
River Rafting in Nameri is available throughout the year only except during summer and monsoon. The availability entirely depends on the water level.
You have to be very particular about your dressing in the states of northeast. Pack woollen clothes or warm clothes to bear the cold throughout the year and specifically raincoat or umbrella while travelling to Meghalaya because of its high possibility of having rainfall in any time of the year.
You can site the gorgeous culture and festivals of the north east people like the Hornbill Festival of Nagaland, Bihu of Assam and Monpa Festival of Arunachal Pradesh.
Yes of course you can definitely have a solo trip to the north east. But before packing your bags you will certainly need to keep in mind that there are not many packages available for your solo trip, if you are an adventure lover then definitely you should opt for it.