Mawsynram Tourism – An Ultimate Travel Guide, 2022
Mawsynram is a small village which is located in East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya. and one of the most visited places in India. It is one of wettest places and holds a Guinness record with highest rainfall. It is at a height of 1400 meter above sea level. Due to its location it receives highest rainfall. Mawsynram has an amazing nature. From all over the world, people come here. There are many valleys, mountains, hills and other historic places to see.
Best Selling Mawsynram Tourism Packages
What Makes Mawsynram So Famous?
Situated in the midst of rich viridescent forests of Khasi hills, Mawsynram has been enthroned as the wettest place on earth. The required distance from the Capital city of Meghalaya to this stunning and romantic place is 60 km. This place receives nearly 11,872 mm of rainfall annually. According to the Guinness Book of world Records Mawsynram received 26,000 mm of rainfall in 1985. Mawsynram is an excellent place for nature-lovers as they can witness their imagined world out here by observing lush green elevations, rich and fresh air, and cool breeze. They can also spectator small-small mist near these waterfalls during the rainy season. Mawsynram is serving a cave named as Mawjymbuin cave in its lap which is one of the most visited caves in Meghalaya because of its mineralized solutions and calcium carbonate deposition.
When to Visit Mawsynram for Tourism
To visit Mawsynram, there must be less rainfall. From April to June, there will be less rainfall and weather is pleasant during these months. In other months there will be rainfall.
Things to do in Mawsynram
Mawsynram is a compact hamlet situated in the East Khasi Hills of Meghalaya. It has many famous places to do sightseeing and perform adventure activities.
- Mawjymbuin cave:It is one of the best attractions of Mawsynram and it is only 2.5 km away from the bus stand. This cave consists of mainly calcium carbonate sandstones and large numbers of Stalagmites that have been formed through weathering of Calcium carbonate. You can enter this cave from many entrance passages.
- Adventure Sports at Mawlyngbna:Mawlyngbna Village is a picturesque place and it is located at a distance of 15 km from Mawsynram it is situated on a hilltop in the East Khasi Hills of Meghalaya. It is well known because of its ancient animal fossils and giant footprints, fresh water, and a big forest with endangered species. This place also has a lot of pitcher plants and waterfalls. In this village there is a park which is run by the community of Mawsynram Village. This park allows its visitors to perform activities like Zip lining and Kayaking. Apart from these activities it also has other options like swimming, boating, fishing for its visitors. This captivating village conducts regular dancing and displaying activities to show their culture and handicrafts to its tourists at the local village museum.
- Enjoy the Views from Kheng Kheng Viewpoint:Khreng khreng viewpoint is located at a place from where visitors can get a complete view of the village syntein. It is about 4 km from the bus stand of Mawsynram. This place is also considered as the best site to witness the beauty of Mawsynram The Syntein Village is very much famous because of its experts who have the quality to change a normal bamboo into a visually attractive handicrafts and these bamboo handicrafts have earned both the national and international extent of momentousness. From this viewpoint you can also observe the Umngni River, Lum Lawpaw and other bordering villages, during daybreak and twilight you can witness this pleasing scenery at utmost level.
- Take a Trip to Cherrapunji:Although the required beauty of Mawsynram is exceptional in Meghalaya, taking a trip to Cherrapunji which is situated at a close distance to Mawsynram is recommended because just like Mawsynram even Cherrapunji is one of the wettest parts in India. Tourists can book a cab from Mawsynram to Cherrapunji and the required distance a tourer has to cover from here is 80 km. There are lots of tourist attractions in Cherrapunji and one of its greatest attractions is the Seven Sisters Falls which is considered as the biggest waterfall in India. In terms of vegetation and geography these Mawsynram and Cherrapunji regions are quite similar to each other.
- Visit Mawsmai Cave:One another magnificent spot is only 6 km away from the actual site of Cherrapunji called the Mawsmai Cave. This cave is awesome because of twisting hills and excellently lit. During the evening when the sun rays touch the limestone that are situated inside the cave it creates several colour patterns, the reason behind forming these several colour patterns is because white colour is the mixture of seven colours and when the sun rays fall over this limestone it reflects these seven colours separately. Inside this cave there are numerous living organisms that feed on organic matter. These organisms live in the cave and constantly catch the attention of its visitors. The cave is only 150 metres long and completely easy to explore, interested visitors can also perform a cave diving activity inside this cave.
Itineraries for Mawsynram Tour
You can choose your ideal Dawki Tour plan from our list of Mawsynram Tour Packages.
How do we reach MawsynramYou can reach Shillong by road, rail or flight.
Choosing road will be a good option and also a difficult one. One can enjoy beautiful nature along the roads. It is connected by roads to famous places like Shillong, Guwahati. From Shillong, it takes nearly 2 hours.
The nearest railway station is in Guwahati which is at a distance of 150 km. From there, one can catch a car or a bus to reach Mawsynram.
Shillong airport (Umroi airport) is the nearest airport which is 86 km away from the town. From this, it may take 2 to 3 hours to reach Mawsynram. For direct flights, there is an international airport in Guwahati named Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi Airport. It is at a distance of 170km.
Honeymoon Packages for Mawsynram
Most of the people in this area speaks English for communication. Hindi is also spoken by rarely. Tribes speak Khasi language and Garo languages.
In 1901-1940 India Meteorological Department showed Cherrapunji as the wettest place. Rainfall of 10800.8mm is recorded in Mawsynram which is highest rainfall received place. “Maw” means stone in Khasi language. The village is known for stalagmite, which has the shape pf “Shivling”.
People here are number of tribes namely Garo, Khasi, and Jaintia. The traditions, festivals, dresses differ from one tribe to another. Dresses worn by them describes their tribe. Garo tribes wear a small cloth around their waist. Women in Khasi tribe wear a Jainsen with a blouse. Women costumes differ from men costumes. Festivals like Shad Suk Mynsiem, Nongkrem festival, Behdeinkhlam festival, Shad Sukra, Wangala festival, are the ones which should be seen by the tourists. When comes to food, choices are less but the Khasi cuisine which includes pork rice and many more should be tried. Also, “Kwai” named tea is a must try.
Top Tourist Attractions in Mawsynram
Mawsynram Mawsynram is a small village and one of the most visited places in India which is located in East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya. It is one of wettest places and holds a Guinness record with highest rainfall. It is at a height of 1400 meter above sea level.
You can visit the following places in Mawsynram:
More Places in Mawsynram
Weather in Mawsynram
The weather in summer is pleasant and warm in Mawsynram. It is not as h0t as other states. The temperature ranges from 14-20 degree Celsius. This is the driest time of the year. The rainfall during these months is heavy and it will be difficult to visit these places during these times. Humidity levels are high. Tourists experience different climatic conditions. It is not safe. September and October has less rainfall. It will be cold during this months. So the tourists must carry woolen clothes and rain coats also. The temperature is around 15 degree. The daytime is not so chill.
Mawsynram Tourism One Day Tour
Mawsynram Tourism Adventurous Activities
Travel Advice on Mawsynram Tourism
As the Mawsynram experiences highest rainfall, it is better to visit during less rainfall months. During those months weather will be pleasant. During rainy days, it will be difficult to cover the places.
Mawsynram Tourism Travel Guides
Best Places to stay in Mawsynram
|Emily and Sankrita’s Homestay||Starts from Rs.4,500/- per night.|
|Hesed House||Starts from Rs.3,000/- per night.|
|La Tngenlang Homestay||Starts from Rs.3,200/- per night.|
Mawsynram Tourism Reviews
Very Reliable taxi operator in Shillong. I had booked a 3 day tour package from Travenjo which included Airport pick up and drop, Cherrapunji day tour, Dawki and Phe Phe falls. I was so glad that they ...View Review
Travenjo Team is one of most disciplined. They are best in providing services related to tours and cab in Meghalaya and Assam. At that time Ali was driber during thse time. He gave us a glimpse of meghalaya. He advised ...View Review
If I have to use one phrase to describe Travenjo's services, it is care for the customer. Right from the get-go, Anwar was extremely responsive to our needs and patient with our questions. There were ...View Review
I had used services of Travenjo for my 6 days trip to Assam and Meghalaya. The driver was polite, cooperative and punctual. We could cover most of the places as planned. Overall was satisfied with the ...View Review
I was very happy with the service provided. The driver named Prince was outstanding. He was so friendly and jolly that we felt like a family. He was there guiding us in every place we went and provided us ...View Review
Nishanth B S
We had an amazing experience with Travenjo. We booked for 7days Meghalaya package. Our tour guide Sandeep was ultimate. His driving skill, knowledge on places, local food all are top notch. He is one of the ...View Review
Frequently Asked Questions about Mawsynram Tourism
Mawsynram is called the wettest place on the earth as it has received highest amount of rainfall. It also holds a Guinness record for receiving 26000 mm of rainfall.
It does not rain all day but it rains every day in Mawsynram.
No, they are not same. Currently, Cherrapunji is wettest place. Both these places are miles apart which shares common orography facing different valleys.
Mawsynram is famous for being the wettest place and a place which recorded the highest rainfall. It is also famous for being one of the famous tourist places in India with beautiful scenic places.
There are many tourist attractions to visit in Mawsynram. Some of them are Mawjymbuin caves, Mawlyngbna, Khreng Khreng viewpoint etc. Shillong and Cherrapunji are also famous tourist spots near Mawsynram.
Handicraft items made of bamboo and cane are famous here. Stalls selling these items and also furniture are quit common here.
There are no particular places for shopping but orange flower must be brought in Cherrapunji.
Phanmluh is a sweet potato and is only found in Mawsynram. Sohliang is a fruit which looks like Sophlang is also famous.