Kaziranga Tourism – An Ultimate Travel Guide, 2022
Kaziranga is home to several unique species which reside in the thick woods of Assam, for which it is widely known all around. This authentic tessellation of wet and dry, plain or mountain region supports the lives of several animals like elephants, one horned rhinoceros, migratory birds, lions, tigers, leopard cats, jacols, porcupines, pythons, hoolock gibbons, capped langurs and lots more. Kaziranga is located in the northeast region of India in the state of Assam covering an area of 430 sq km. This astounding destination wins the heart of all the visitors from all around the world who come to explore the beauty of mother nature. The flaming collection of fauna that is found here makes a person go mad on it. The Kaziranga National Park is situated in such a location where one can experience a variation in the climate. The beauty of warmth of the sun where the flowers blossom and the birds chirp and the whiteful surrounding and leafless trees during the winters capture the souls of one. This amazing land of animals is surrounded by the tribal villages of the people of Assam who stay there and add more to the beauty of the destination. This place has also been recognised as a world heritage site and is one of the favourite travel destinations for all.
What Makes Kaziranga So Famous?
Kaziranga National Park has overwhelming unique features. It is widely known among people because of its exceptional collection of mammals and other animals as well. Animals that are endangered species, especially the one- horned rhinoceros are safely protected and kept here. The fauna here like the sheer forest, marshes, rugged reeds, elephant grass and shallow pools overwhelm the place and make it more lively. It is a biosphere reserve consisting of an area which is widely covered by grasses and mosses and also tall trees spread over a huge area. Another specialty of this awesome destination is the craze of the nature lovers who long to visit and explore the big forest. The belle of the surroundings, animals, and the fauna combined together are the main reasons for it being declared as one of the world heritage sites.
When to Visit Kaziranga for Tourism
The Kaziranga National Park is situated on the banks or close by the river Brahmaputra in the northeast region of India and thus it is enough to signify the amazing weather of this place. Specifically the best time to visit this world heritage site is either during the winters or during the summers. As during the monsoon time (May- October) the National Park remains closed due to the heavy flooding in the park premices.
- Summer Season:This season (February- May) is basically hot and humid and is therefore not very wantful for people but if someone wants to escape the rush and want the best hotel deals then this time can also be a good one.
- Winter Season:This season (November- February) offers a very peaceful and pleasant weather for all. The amazing coolness and the beautiful nature all around you will mesmerise the soul. People and travellers will in fact get the life worthy experience here in this time. Hence the best time to visit and travel to Kaziranga National Park is the winter time.
Things to do in Kaziranga
Kaziranga National Park which is also famous by the name ‘Serengeti of the East’ is blessed and endowed by the magical geographical features and the precious one’s are mainly the one- horned rhinoceros and tigers. This park can serve you a good reason for which you will be bound to stay here for a number of days because of the uncountable activities available starting from the jeep safari, elephant safari, bird watching, tribal villages touring, boating and lots more.
- Enjoy Elephant Safari:The best part of travelling to Kaziranga is this adventurous Elephant Safari inside the boundary of the park. This rare and awesome experience is so thrilling and satisfying and is therefore fun at the same time. The Elephant Safari gives us the opportunity to have a look at the other animals from close proximity. The areas where we can have an elephant ride include the Panbari Reserve Forest, the Central Range and also the Burapahar Range.
- Have a wonderful Jeep Safari:Another exciting way to explore the huge landscape of the forest is by travelling in a jeep and therefore having a close view of the animals by your own eye. Having a ride in the open jeeps inside the big park will definitely refresh your mood and you will have a good experience. Thus, the areas which are allotted for Jeep Safari are the 4 zones in the Park.
- Witness the amazing Birds:The park offers the best place to sight the amazing inland as well as migratory birds with the gorgeous Brahmaputra flowing by. One can spend the entire day and night to watch and explore the amazing collection of nature that is shown here. Mainly, the eastern range of the Kaziranga National park offers the best viewing of the birds specially the water lagoons. Large number of birds are found here relaxed and unharmed by men. Some more of the bird species that can be seen are the pelicans, the Whistling Teal, the Great Adjutant Stork and lots more.
- Take a tour to the Tea Estate:The Tocklai Tea Research Institute is located at a distance of about 116 km from the Kaziranga National Park. Travelling through the tea plantations of Assam will give you the pleasurably vibe and is so soothing and relaxing to all, especially visitors coming from the hustle and bustle of their daily lives this place is definitely going to give you relief. One can also get to know lots and lots of the modern techniques that are being used to increase and improve the tea plantation.
- Take a Boat Safari to witness the gorgeous water animals:Boating in the mighty Brahmaputra is in itself a beautiful experience and therefore if this boat ride is accompanied by watching the endangered Gangetic Dolphins and many more gorgeous water species then that will definitely be a life worthing experience. In fact the government of Assam has taken certain steps to protect the endangered species in the park and in the state as well and most importantly to increase the population of the dolphins. Also, riding the boat during the sunset and watching the orange ball disappearing in the waters will blow up your heart completely.
- Explore the Tribal Villages Here:As mentioned earlier there are a good number of tribal villages around the park’s boundary and having a visit there will be very lovely. Toring to these villages will give us an idea of the handcrafts, cultures, practises of the local tribals. The assamese women are also found here working for their livelihood and weaving sarees and shawls in their traditional manner.
- Explore the beautiful Kakochang Waterfall:This Kakochang Waterfall which is located at 14 km distance from the Kaziranga National Park is a treat to the eyes of all the travellers. The gorgeous ambience that is created by the water falling from such a huge height adds to the beauty of untouched nature. Therefore, if visiting Kaziranga then travelling to this Kakochang Waterfall is a must to revive your soul from the day to day hectic life.
- Pay a visit to the Kaziranga National Orchid Park:The Kaziranga National Orchid Park is located at a distance of 2 km from the central range of the Kaziranga National Park. This park is spread to an area of 5.95 acres of land and is therefore one of the largest orchid parks. Here we can find about 500 different varieties of orchids blooming all around the park and is hence the best way to adventure the gorgeous plantations of the beautiful flowers here in one go. Not only this place is rich in orchid plantations but also different species of bamboo, canes and sour vegetables as well.
- Amaze yourself with the cultural and folk dances:The people of the parks do a lot to entertain the people who come to visit this place. In fact there is always some program being held in the Kaziranga National Orchid Park. The tribal people here enjoy and perform several cultural and ethnic dances and singing and entertain the travellers. It is lovely to entertain yourself with the unique bamboo dance and the classical bihu dance of the assamese people living here. Therefore, the stay here in the forest resort is made more adventurous, enjoyable and memorable with these programs.
Itineraries for Kaziranga Tour
You can choose your ideal Guwahati Tour plan from our list of Guwahati Tour Packages.
How do we reach KazirangaYou can reach Shillong by road, rail or flight.
If one wants to have the fullest of enjoyment with their family and friends then travelling by car to the Kaziranga National Park is the bestest option. This place is situated at such a point in Assam and is therefore well connected to various roads from all around India. On reaching Guwahati you can find a number of buses and cars available locally that will reach you to the Park.
Another means of transport to Kaziranga National Park is by train. The lavish travel through trains is on the reach of everyone as it is cheap and accessible for all and connects all of India. Therefore the nearest railway station to the park is the Guwahati railway station.
The most simple and easy means of transportation to Kaziranga National Park is by air. The nearest reachable airports for travellers are Jorhat Airport and Guwahati Airport. It takes 2hrs to reach Kaziranga from Jorhat Airport which is at a distance of 105km, also from Guwahati Airport it takes about 4- 5hrs which is at 250km away.
As the pristine gift of nature, the Kaziranga National Park is situated in the state of Assam and therefore the most common languages spoken by the natives here are basically english, hindi, assamese, bengali. Also something unique has been noticed i.e, the Karbi language is spoken by the local Karbi people of Kaziranga Park besides other native languages. It is in fact believed that the name Kaziranga has been derived from the Karbi language according to which ‘Kazi’ means goat and ‘Ranga’ means red.
The amazing Kaziranga National Park which has been declared as one of the world heritage sites was established in the year 1974, february 11 by the government of Assam. Actually the park was not so huge at first but later with the passage of time little by little square feet of land was added to the existing plot. The first addition of 43.79 sq km was made on 28th of May, 1977 followed by an area of 6.47, 0.69, 0.89, 1.15, 376 sq kilometres one after the other respectively. Also two main forest reserves namely the Panbari which is spread to an area of 1894 acres and Kukurakata in an area of 3936 acres come under the administrative control of the Kaziranga National Park. The Kaziranga Park formally became a forest reserve in 1908 and therefore was open to travellers or visitors in 1938. The park was therefore declared as a wildlife sanctuary in 1950 after the Independence.
Since time Assam has always been the hub for all the other nations and civilisations as its location is so mind and peaceful. Therefore one can find a number of cultures and communities here. The list of communities or groups found in Assam or nearby Kaziranga National Park are Bodo, Rabha, Mishing, Deori, Karbi, Tiwa and lots more. The livelihood here in Kaziranga basically comes from tourism and also some people are involved in ancillary jobs as well. One cannot find any villages inside the boundary of the park but there are a number of 39 village settlements around the park premises. In fact, because of the growing tourism in the Kaziranga National Park more and more settlements are taking place in and around the park. The people living around the park are so kind hearted and help the workers of the park and ensure that no harm is done to the animals.
Top Tourist Attractions in Kaziranga
Hathikuli Tea Estate
Kaziranga National Orchid and Diversity Park
Hollongapar Gibbon Sanctuary
Karbi Anglong District (Etnic Village)
Tips for visiting Kaziranga
- The first and foremost advice would be to always prefer a Elephant Safari over a jeep Safari if you are asked to choose any one between them because having a safari with an elephant will be such a memorable and adventurous one but jeep Safari will not give so much of the vibe as in Elephant Safari.
- You can also have a rare and unknown boat safari inside the Kaziranga National park in the eastern part apart from the jeep and the elephant safari that is available for the outsiders.
- If you are visiting the Kaziranga Park during the winter season then always keep in mind that the state of Assam also experiences a good amount of coldness during the winter time. So if you plan to move out for your elephant safari then book the timings later in the day and not in the early mornings because of the dense fog that may ruin the adventurous travel.
- The park usually remains closed during the first week of June to the first of October due to the heavy monsoon downfall in this period.
- The timings for the safari’s start from 5:30 in the morning to 4 pm only. The precise timing for Jeep Safari starts from 7:30 am and the Elephant Safari from 5:30 onwards.
- Try to be very punctual for the Safari and arrive half an hour prior to the timing.
- After getting the permission for your Elephant Safari, move to the Mihimukh Riding Tower located in the central range or the Bagori Headquarter which is located in the western part of the forest and thus wait for the Elephant.
- Strictly follow the instructions that will be given to you by the Elephant mahout during your Elephant Safari.
- To capture the beautiful sites that you will witness along your journey, carry binoculars and cameras or phones.
- While having your rides in the jungle please do not force them to go close to the wild animals or cross the safari routes allotted.
Rainfall in Kaziranga
Since Kaziranga is situated in the middle Brahmaputra Valley in Assam and thus receives 250 cm (98 in) of rain per annum. The park because of its location is often flooded by the Brahmaputra River waters and which at some point is also necessary to maintain the biological balance of the park. Now, the park remaining flooded for 3 to 4 months every year has become common for the locals as well as the visitors. Mainly the Buguri area of the Kaziranga is annually submerged. The park as mentioned earlier experiences 3 seasons – Summer, Winter and Monsoon. The dry summer which is also accompanied by a good windy climate extends from February to March with a maximum of 37 degree centigrade and minimum of 7 degree centigrade. The hot and humid climate of the monsoon stretches from June to September. During this time, Kaziranga National Park receives a rainfall of 2,220 mm which is said to be brought by the South West Monsoon and lastly the winter season extends from November to February which is cold, mild and dry with an approximate temperature of 25 degree centigrade and 5 degree centigrade at the maximum and minimum respectively.
More Places in Kaziranga
Weather in Kaziranga
The weather of Kaziranga as mentioned earlier in the page varies with the season. In the summer season, the park is very hot and humid as well. During the monsoon time, the park remains closed because of the heavy flooding by the waters that come from the River Brahmaputra. Finally, during the winter season the temperature here in Assam Kaziranga remains mild and cool therefore visitors all across the country and world prefer visiting the park during this time.
Kaziranga Tourism One Day Tour
Kaziranga Tourism Adventure Activities
Best Places to stay in Kaziranga
|Krazyrooms Kaziranga||5.6 Km from Hathikuli, Kaziranga|
|Homecation Swagat Homestay||1.4 km from the Kaziranga national Orchid Park|
|Homecation Bora’s Homestay||2.6 km from the kaziranga National Orchid Park|
|Homecation Seuj Nivas||400 m from kaziranga National Orchid Park|
|Hotel Balaji||4.8 km from Kaziranga National Orchid Park|
|Hotel Heritage Nest||8.4 km from Hathikuli|
|Hotel Monirams Inn||6.5 km from Kaziranga|
|Namaste Green Ashiyana Resort||4.5 km from Hathikuli|
|Shivaji Inn Kaziranga||5.6 km from Hathikuli|
|Flagship 83230 Ekora Resort||4.7 km from Hathikuli|
Kaziranga Tourism Reviews
Professional service since the beginning. Right from building the itinerary to executing the same, along with altering as per the situation to make the trip better and more memorable. Our driver Sandeep was ever smiling andView Review
I traveled two days with Irshad from Travenjo Tours. They are professional, trustworthy, and friendly people. I just booked on phone, and Irshad was standing right on time outside my hotel. The travel was very smooth,View Review
Extremely easy to pre-book online. Very low advance booking amount. Superb connectivity thorugh whatsapp and e-mail in case of any issues. We made a great friend in Raj bhai our driver for the trip. He was our driverView Review
Iam very happy with the overall experience with Travenjo Tours! Mr. Tarique Anwar, owner of Travenjo was very helpful in suggesting best itinerary for our Meghalaya trip for 8 days, he made sure we were comfortableView Review
We had a good and smooth experience with Travenjo. Our Driver Rahul was polite and made every possible effort to make us view/explore sites in Shillong. I highly recommend both Travenjo and the driver.View Review
It’s was awesome experience… I booked cab from 1st December to 6th December 2019…Without any hassle my trip went smooth, Pick up from Guwahati Airport to Meghalaya and back to Airport… There was no hassle, Our DriverView Review
Frequently Asked Questions about Kaziranga Tourism
Basically you will require a minimum of two days to explore the Kaziranga National Park fully, one day for the Elephant Safari and the next day for jeep Safari or vice versa. The other recommended places can also be visited along the jeep and elephant safari’s.
You can visit or not the Kaziranga National park in the month of May depending on the weather conditions as during this month the monsoon partially starts in Assam.
There are approximately 2500 One- Horned Rhinoceros here in the Kaziranga National Park and therefore there are high chances of you seeing them during your journey.
Both the modes of safari i.e, the jeep and Elephant Safari can be booked online. You need to provide your name, age, gender for the booking details. This procedure of booking online is made to avoid rush in the area.
The price for both jeep and elephant safaris are different for the Indian and non- indian travellers.
For the Indian travellers the price list is:
Elephant Safari- INR 1400 per person.
Jeep Safari- INR 3700 for one jeep.
For the foreigners the price list is:
Elephant Safari- INR 3200 per person.
Jeep Safari- INR 7500 for one jeep.
Actually, both the jeep and elephant safaris are feasible and enjoyable for travellers. But in case of the jeep safari you will get to see the Rhinos and other animals from a far distance but if you explore the wondrous forest in Elephant you can witness the rhinos and other animals from a near view.
The approximate distance between Kaziranga and Guwahati is 138 km.
During your tour to the amazing Kaziranga National Park you can stay in the nearby resorts and hotels. You can book there with respect to your wants and needs through online mode.
The Kaziranga National Park is famous throughout the world especially among nature lovers and animal lovers because of its crazy collections of animals and plants and flowers throughout the park. The most famous species of the park are the one- horned rhinos and the migratory birds that throng here also the wild collection of orchids as well.
The distance between Kaziranga National park and Shillong, the Scotland of east is nearly about 201 km.
The budget to explore the mighty and beautiful Kaziranga National Park per person depends on the number of days you will spend here and the quality of your tour that you are looking for which includes the hotel, for fooding and lodging, safaris, cars for exploring other nearby places and many more. Thus a rough calculation will be near about more than 5000 per person starting from a 2D\1N in our tour package.
The Kaziranga National Park is divided in ranges for the ease of the travellers. Therefore, the best range to travel in for us would be taking a jeep or elephant safari in the central range. Because this area is located in the centre of the forest thus there is more tendency to find different varieties of animals here.