Guwahati to Shillong- A Complete Traveller’s Guide
Take some time from your busy schedule and travel from Guwahati to Shillong passing through beautiful hills and the grand Umiam Lake. Explore Shillong, also known as the ‘Scotland of East’ with your loved ones. Spend your time in the lap of nature with the most enchanting spots of Shillong.
Home to various magnificent waterfalls enclosed by astounding green mountains, breathtaking caves, mesmerizing lakes, and many other wonders of nature Shillong is sure to take anyone’s heart.
Shillong offers many beautiful spots for nature lovers and also for the leisure seeker. One of the most visited place by tourists all over the world is Cherrapunji also known as the wettest place on the planet. It is home to different spectacular waterfalls and caves which has gained popularity throughout time.
Dawki and Mawlynnong are the other alluring beauty of Meghalaya which draws a lot of tourists to witness its beauty. Guwahati to Shillong journey is definitely a soul-refreshing experience. There are different tourist attractions which one should definitely visit while on Guwahati Shilllong trip.
After reaching Shillong you can visit its waterfalls, parks and other natural beauties to refresh your mind and soul. Exploring Shillong will definitely be an unforgettable experience for you.
How to reach Shillong from Guwahati
The fastest recommended way to reach Shillong from Guwahati is by hiring a Guwahati to Shillong Taxi. The distance from Guwahati to Shillong is about 100 km and takes approximately 3 hours to reach. You can also hire an SUV or a tempo traveler in Guwahati (for large groups) and many other roadway options for your journey.
Guwahati to Shillong Route Map
Reach Shillong with the shortest and the fastest route via National Highway No.6. Usually there is not much congestion on the Guwahati Shillong highway which makes your journey in this route hassle-free . Guwahati to Shillong route has the best traveling experience as it is one of the most scenic routes in the North East region where you can see wide landscapes with lush greenery all around throughout your journey. Also there are different tourist spots on the way, specially the Umiam Lake. You can stop at the Umiam Lake and enjoy the picturesque scenery from its viewpoint.
Guwahati to Shillong Distance
The distance from Guwahati to Shillong is about 100 km and it takes approximately 2 hrs and 45 min without any traffic to reach Shillong. However the distance from Guwahati Airport to Shillong is about 118 km and takes about 3 hours in a cab to reach Shillong.
Best Time to Visit Shillong
The weather of Shillong is mostly pleasant throughout the year. You can visit Shillong anytime and have a great refreshing experience of nature.
Following is the information about the seasons you can choose to enjoy and make the most of it during your visit to Shillong:
Summer Season- You will experience the most pleasurable summer season in Shillong as the temperature is relatively low in the month of March to June as compared to the other states of the country. The summers could be the best time for you to explore Shillong’s beauty and do some adventure activities. It is also the best time for sightseeing and witnessing astounding green landscapes. To relax from the dazzling heat of the other regions you can travel from Guwahati to reach Shillong and enjoy your summer season to the fullest with friends and family.
Max temperature: 30°C
Min temperature: 15°C
Monsoon Season: Meghalaya is famous for its heavy rainfall throughout the year and you can enjoy the best rains in the month of July to August. The constant rainfall during these months adds beauty to the green landscapes of Shillong and its waterfalls. It is the best time to experience the real beauty of pristine nature.
Maximum Temperature: 24°C
Minimum Temperature: 17°C
Winter season: The winters are cool allowing you to enjoy sightseeing in Shillong with utmost pleasure and without any worries of getting drenched in the rain or shading yourself from the dazzling heat. You will experience winter in Shillong from the month of October till March. You can indulge in many outdoor and adventurous activities during this time. While traveling during the winters from Guwahati to Shillong always make sure to have good woolen clothes to enjoy travelling without shivering.
Maximum Temperature: 15°C
Minimum Temperature: 3°C
Spring Season- Shillong experiences spring season in the month of February and March and the climate is cool and refreshing during this time. The city seems extremely beautiful with blooming pink flowers. It is the favorite season of the tourists as the weather drags tourists to escape from the scorching heat of other regions. Although spring is known for its pleasant and fresh weather but in Shillong one may often find it a bit cool and therefore a light jacket or covering is always recommended while travelling.
Maximum Temperature: 21°C
Minimum Temperature: 14°C
Places you can visit on the way from Guwahati to Shillong
Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary: Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary in Ri Bhoi district of Meghalaya and you have to obtain permission from the Forest Officer to visit the sanctuary. The office is located on the main highway from Guwahati to Shillong. It is a less explored forest sanctuary.
Sohliya Village: This beautiful village serves as the spine of strawberry production in the state of Meghalaya and is situated 26 km from Shillong. The strawberry farms are maintained by the locals and are famous for the large production of ripe, red strawberries which occupies about a thousand hectares of land. The efforts of the village in planting strawberry has turned the village into a strawberry farm village. Walking through this beautiful farm would be a great experience.
Umiam Lake: You can visit Umiam Lake on the way from Guwahati to Shillong and make your journey more joyous. The lake has become one of the favorites of visitors traveling to Shillong as the magnificent Umiam Lake takes everyone’s heart and gives a soul-refreshing experience. Guwahati to Shillong travelers enjoy clicking pictures with the beautiful giant lake as the background.
Lum Nehru Park: Nehru Park is a beautiful park and located adjacent to the Umiam Lake. It is a very spacious park with a good sitting arrangement and has lots of playing equipment for kids. Lum Nehru Park is a perfect spot for all age groups to have fun and relax. The refreshing breeze from the magnificent Umiam Lake gives a rejuvenating feeling to the visitors of Nehru Park.
Places to eat on the way to Shillong
1. Jiva Veg Restaurant: Enjoy the food at Nongpoh Jiva Veg Restaurant it’s a popular food resort serving Indian food.
2. Excelencia Restaurant: It is another food spot to take a break from the journey and enjoy.
3. Green Star Hotel: It is a local restaurant serving vegetarian food.
Besides these restaurants, there are plenty of other small tea stalls where you can have some light refreshments and relax for some time. You can also buy local handmade things, different local fruits and pickles.
Reach Guwahati to Shillong via
1. By Road
As there is no direct route to Shillong from Guwahati except by road, you have to travel 2 to 3 hours via road. You can reach Guwahati to Shillong by a number of vehicles like personal or rental cabs, bus, and tempo traveller. You will enjoy your trip to Shillong because of the scenic beauty on the way. Taxis are often considered the best choice to have a comfortable journey from Guwahati to Shillong.
2. By Air
Flights are available from Guwahati Airport to Shillong Airport located at Umroi near Barapani, which is at a distance of 40km from the main city and thereby you can hire a taxi to reach Shillong from the airport. You can reach Shillong by sparing very less amount of time, about 40 min, as compared to travelling by road. Traveling Guwahati to Shillong by flight can cost you around 3000 to 5000 depending upon the airlines and the traveling season.
As of now there is no rail connectivity from Guwahati to Shillong.
Tourist Spots in Shillong
1. Lady Hydari Park: It is a lush green garden and the best place to relax and spent time with family and friends. The park attracts all age groups to spend quality time. It also has a mini zoo with few unique animals and different beautiful orchid flowers which draws a lot of tourists to explore the beauty of the garden. It is also a fun and exciting place for kids as there are many playing equipment for kids in the park.
2. Ward’s Lake: It is an artificial lake that lies in the middle of the city and provides abundant greenery to it. One striking feature of the lake is the white wooden bridge which is at the entrance of the lake where you can even feed the fishes inside the water. During November Cherry Blossom Flower blooms over the surrounding of the lake which attracts tourists from different corners. The lake becomes pink with beautiful Himalayan flowers. Botanical Garden is situated adjacent to the lake which consists of different floral species.
3. Shillong Golf Course: The Shillong Golf Course is also one of the most visited places of Shillong. It is the only natural golf course found in India. The golf course has wide green golf field to roam around and enjoy the calm breeze from the surrounding pine trees. It has good space to play various games for children. Shillong Golf Course also serves as the best picnic spot. It gives a refreshing experience to its visitors.
4. Police Bazar: Police Bazar also known as PB in short and locally known as ‘Khyndailad’ by the locals is a famous urban market of Shillong where you can go for shopping. The shops in Police Bazar have a variety of local, traditional, and even foreign products. It has almost all kinds of shops, markets, mall, and a great number of restaurants. It is considered as a favorite shopping place for tourists as well as locals.
5. Don Bosco Museum: The museum basically showcase the rich culture and tribal heritage of the people of northeastern India and is one of the best museums to know the unique tribal culture and tradition of northeastern India such as Meghalaya, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, and, Nagaland. It is located in Mawlai – Shillong. The Don Bosco Museum has a great hoard of artwork, handicrafts, attires, ornamentation, and pictures of classical times. One of the unique things about the museum is the view from the 7th Seventh Floor of the building also called the Skywalk which gives a panoramic view of the surroundings.
Famous Tourist Attractions to explore in and around Shillong
1. Cherrapunji: Cherrapunji is famous for being one of the wettest places in the world as it receives rain most of the time of the year. It has magnificent waterfalls, astounding caves and beautiful parks that has attracted a lot of tourists throughout time.
2. Double Decker Living Root Bridge: It is one of the unique places to visit in Cherrapunji. The double decker living root bridge is naturally formed with the joining of the strong roots of rubber trees. You have to trek down 3500 stairs to witness this astounding Living Root Bridge at Nongriat Village.
3. Seven Sister Water Falls: It is the fourth highest waterfalls in India and is one of the alluring beauties of Cherrapunji. This magnificent waterfalls gives a perfect picturesque look to its surroundings. The water flows gracefully from the mountains at a height of 315 meters. It is the best place to experience nature’s beauty in Cherrapunji.
4. Nohkalikai Falls: Nohkalikai Falls has an amazing height of 1115 feet and the water flowing from this stunning height gives it a beautiful look. This waterfalls is also one of the splendid beauties of Cherrapunji region. It is even more pleasurable to watch the falls during the monsoon season. There is a viewpoint from where one can get the best view of the waterfalls, with lush greenery all around and the scenic valley.
5. Dainthlen Falls: This beautiful waterfalls is located on the roadside at Cherrapunji. The Dainthlen Waterfalls passes through two huge rocks and gives a spectacular view of the flowing water. The water from the Dainthlen Falls spreads out into a narrow gorge. It is also a famous site for the locals for picnics and outings. Saimika Park is a nearby spot to visit.
6. Lyngksiar Falls: The Lyngksiar Falls is named after the orchid flower ‘Tiew Lyngksiar’ and is renowned for its crystal-clear blue-colored water which flows throughout the year and gives a soul-refreshing experience to the visitors. It is also considered a perfect picnic spot with family and friends. Visiting Lyngksiar Falls should definitely be on your bucket list if you are visiting Cherrapunji. There are many small eating places like tea and maggie stalls. It is best to visit Lyngksiar Falls during winters.
7. Mawsmai Cave: Mawsmai Cave gives a breathtaking experience to the visitors who are exploring cave for the first time. It is much easier to reach this cave as compared to the other caves of Cherrapunji as you do not have to trek a lot. Mawsmai Cave is shaded under thick trees, with a wide entrance but it gets tapper as you walk inside ahead. The walls of the cave are quite narrow and would be difficult for large groups to enter together. The cave naturally glows with the sun rays falling on the limestones. The historic pillars are naturally formed by the joining of the roof and floor. They serve home to numerous bats and insects. It is a recommended place for history lovers as it gives much information about the ancient times through its fossils. Visiting Mawsmai cave is not recommended for old age people and even for small kids. It is best to visit Mawsmai Cave post monsoon.
8. Mawsawdong Falls: Mawsawdong Falls is situated in the West Khasi Hill district of Meghalaya and has many listed places around it. The view from the top of the Mawsawdong Falls gives a charming glimpse of the falls. You can either sit quietly and appreciate the elegant look of the falls or can move around to enjoy the scenic beauty. It is a prefect place for photographers to capture the magnificent beauty of nature. The water of the Mawsawdong Falls is crystal clear.
9. Prut Falls: Sohra has added another bounty to its beauty with the addition of one more striking waterfall. Prut Falls has a height of 40m and has become quite popular since recent times. By time its beauty has attracted more tourists to Cherrapunji. This waterfall is spawned by the outflow from Khliehshnong Laitlyndop, Umkrem, and Madan Umkrem into the Urwan river. It is well known for its organic evolution. Exceptional photographs can be clicked from the point at Prut Falls.
10. Eco Park: The Eco Park is established by the government of Meghalaya for tourism on a high plateau. The park has a beautiful collection of Orchid flowers. The hill provides a mesmerizing view of the verdant hills crisscrossed by waterfalls flowing along the Sohra valley. A beautiful stream also flows through the park.
11. Elephant Falls: It is one of the most popular waterfalls and is equally beautiful as any other waterfalls of Meghalaya. The crystal-clear water flowing on the huge giant rock gives an astounding view of the falls. The mesmerizing sound of the water flowing down the rocks gives an amazing soothing effect to the ears and a refreshing experience to its viewers. This beautiful waterfalls is a three-tier waterfalls, the first waterfalls is mainly covered by thick dense trees and is very broad, the second waterfall is thin and has less water flow in the winters, the third tier of the falls is the most beautiful one, it is the tallest and occupies a broad area from where the clear water flows with full might on the giant rock. The third tier mainly attracts the visitors at Elephant Falls. It is located about 12 km from the main city of Shillong.
12. Shillong Peak: Shillong Peak is the highest point of Shillong and is at a distance of about 10 km from the main city. The peak has a stunning height of 1962 m and gives a panoramic view of the whole city with verdant greenery all around. It also gives an amazing view of the Bangladesh plains. A telescope is available to get a bird’s eye view of the city. Shillong Peak looks beautiful even when it is covered by fog.
13. Dawki River: It is famous for its crystal-clear fresh water and is one of the most visited places in Meghalaya by tourists. It is located approximately 82 km away from Shillong. It takes nearly 3 hours to reach Dawki from Shillong. The river is crystal clear and transparent and you can see small rocks and pebbles which adds beauty to the river. You can do boating on this Umngot River and play with your fingers in the cool refreshing water. After walking a small distance from Dawki you can see the Bangladesh border.
14. Mawlynnong Village: It has been awarded as the cleanest village in Asia and is a must-visit place if you come to Dawki. The cleanliness and natural beauty of the village will definitely amaze you. Residents of the village have always taken utmost care for the cleanliness of the village. Apart from being clean the atmosphere of the village is peaceful. The village has gained a lot of appreciation from its visitors.
15. Krang Suri Falls: This majestic waterfall is located in the Jaintia Hills District of Meghalaya and is a must-visit site for tourists visiting Shillong. To witness this amazing spot you have to walk down for about 10- 15 min through the stairs. The striking feature of this falls is the water pouring down with full might and its accumulation in the pool below resulting in deep blue color. The Krang Suri Falls is a good location for clicking beautiful pictures. Besides this one can swim in the chill water with the help of life jackets and instructor and enjoy the coolness of the water. Boating option is also available above the falls. You should have 1 – 2 hours to explore the beauty of the falls. The best time to visit Krang Suri Falls is during monsoon and post monsoon.
16. Mawphlang: In Mawphlang Village you can visit Mawphlang Sacred Forest, considered as sacred by the locals for years. There has been a tradition to date that no one should plant or pick any object from this forest. The forest has reserved a variety of medicinal plants and even toxic ones. Apart from this forest, you can also visit the Khasi Sacred Groves and the Khasi Heritage Village which showcase the local tribal culture and heritage.
17. Airforce Museum: The Airforce Museum is located 12 km away from the main city on the outskirts of Shillong and is under the Eastern Air Command. Things inside the museum are very unique whether be it the picture gallery, dummy aircraft, war memorials, or other items.
Best Tourist Spots to Explore in Guwahati
1. Nehru Park: It is a public park in Guwahati City and is among the oldest parks of Guwahati, Assam. It is situated opposite to Cotton College which is one of the popular educational institutes in Guwahati. According to historical data, earlier the area of the park belonged to the ancient church which was later established as a park by the government of Assam. Nehru Park also provides shelter to variety of trees and flowers which blooms with stunning colors and gives the garden an elegant look. The park also has statues of locals portraying performance of folk dances of Assam.
2. Assam State Museum: The Assam State Museum is one of the most famous museums found in North East India with a huge collection of invaluable historical items. The museum demonstrates the socio-cultural history of the North East. The Museum exhibits different sections and displays incredible epigraphy, anthropology, arts and crafts, and a store of various natural history. The collections of the museum are very rare with 13,802 objects altogether out of which 1,161 are displayed.
3. Guwahati Planetarium: Guwahati Planetarium is an important center for scientific research and astronomical studies and is situated at the heart of Guwahati city. It has serves students with many endeavors of scientific needs as an advanced and well-equipped contrivance. During the eclipse, the planetarium offers the public to view the eclipse with its astronomical devices like telescopes. It is located near the High Court of Guwahati.
4. Assam State Zoo and Botanical Garden: The Assam State Zoo is also known as the Guwahati Zoo and is located inside the Hengrabari Reserved Forest, which is situated on the outskirts of Guwahati city. The zoo has about 895 animals, and a total of 113 species of animals, birds, and reptiles, making it a popular tourist attraction. In the year 1982, a botanical garden was also set up in the area which hosts many social awareness programs in the city and have rescued a lot of plant species. The combined zoo and the botanical garden are called the ‘Green Lung’ of the city.
5. Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary: The Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary is situated at a distance of about 50 km from Guwahati. It is considered as the habitat of the great one-horned rhinoceroses with the highest population found in this region. The Pobitora Wildlife Sanctuary was declared a sanctuary in the year 1971 and this sanctuary has protected this rare species of rhino.
6. Fancy Bazar: it is also known as the ‘Chandni Chowk of Guwahati’ consisting of a large number of tiny shops which gives an amazing shopping experience. It is one of the the busiest markets of Guwahati where you can shop designer and branded clothes. You will get products at cheaper rates here. Your trip to Guwahati is incomplete if you have not visited the Fancy Bazar.
7. Brahmaputra River: The boat cruise on the mighty Brahmaputra river with the beautiful sunset will give you an amazing experience. You will be provided with nice staff during the cruise for your comfort. The cool breeze will add four crescent moons to your day.
Recommended Hotels in Guwahati
|The Ornate||Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati|
|Ginger Guwahati||Bormotoria, Guwahati|
|Hotel Atithi||Near Paltan Bazar, Guwahati|
|Hotel Mirana, Guwahati||Kahikuchi, Guwahati|
|Hotel Green Valley||Paltan Bazar, Guwahati|
|Mayflower Hotel||Pan Bazar, Guwahati|
|Vivanta Guwahati||Khanapara, Guwahati|
|The Greenwood Resort||Madaf Nagar, Khanapara, Guwahati|
|Hotel Prag Contenental||Motilal Nehru Rd, Pan Bazaar, Guwahati|
|Brahmaputra Jungle Resort||Near Laxmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Guwahati|
Recommended Hotels and Resorts to Stay in Shillong
|The Heritage Club – Tripura Castle||Cleve Colony, Tripura Castle Road, Shillong|
|Orange Homestay||H. No. 15 Laitkor Rngi, Near Orange Nissan Service|
|The Golf Retreat||Golflink, Mawpun, Shillong|
|Hotel Centre Point||Near Police Point, Police Bazar|
|Jessica Residency||Sunny-Hills, GS Road, Shillong, Meghalaya 793002|
|Pine Hill Homestay||7th Mile, Upper Shillong, nearby Elephant Falls, towards Cherrapunji Road|
|Hotel Polo Towers||Polo, Shillong|
|Hotel Holiday Hills||Thana Road,, Police Bazar, Shillong|
|Café Shillong Bed & Breakfast||31 Upper Lachumiere, Shillong 73003|
|The Loft Executive Inn||Lower New Colony Laitumkhrah Shillong 793003|
Instructions to keep in mind while on a trip from Guwahati to Shillong
1. Taking a car will be very convenient during your Guwahati to Shillong ride.
2. Shillong is best for trekking as it provides many adventurous spots, so do remember to keep all the necessary belongings if you are planning to trek.
3. Always take an umbrella or raincoats, and pair of waterproof sleepers as rain is unpredictable in Shillong
4. If you are traveling from Guwahati to Shillong the first thing to do is to check whether the car is suitable for traveling in hilly areas. The car should be well maintained and serviced.
5. Carry your valid identity cards.
6. While travelling in Shillong it is always advisable that you carry some extra cash along with you for your ease as there are many small stalls which only takes cash as payment option.
7. Do carry your sanitizer, mask, and other hygiene-related items while traveling.
8. Also take vomit bags along with you for your journey as there are many curves, twists, and turns on the way to Shillong and also on routes to different tourist spots which may result in nausea for some.
9. As the weather from Guwahati to Shillong is very pleasant you may carry warm clothes.
10. Before leaving the cab do remember to take all your belongings.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best time to travel in Guwahati to Shillong is during the non monsoon seasons.
Fare varies depending on the mode of transportation, however, the minimum fare for a Sedan (Swift Dzire/Similar) is Rs.2500/-.
It can take approximately 3 hours to reach Shillong from Guwahati without any traffic. In order to avoid traffic move early.
You can either book an online Guwahati to Shillong cab or take Sumo to reach Shillong.
No, there is no railway station on the Shillong route due to the hilly region, but Shillong has an airport so you can take a flight to reach Shillong from Guwahati in much less time.
Shillong is known for its different astounding tourist spots which are visited by travelers from all around the world throughout the year. While in Shilong, you can visit Cherrapunji and Mawsynram known as the wettest places on earth.
Guwahati to Shillong route is one of the safest routes in Northeast. You will have a smooth journey throughout as the roads are well developed. You will enjoy the astounding view of the wide landscapes with lush greenery and probably you can have a memorable experience.